Monday, November 17, 2014

Real Talk



I have been so sad to see so many beautiful, wonderful blogs go to the wayside.  Here's the truth- blogging is hard work, and creating exceptional content is a constant pressure.  When all is right with the world for me, this is the kind of alchemy that eventually creates diamonds, a joyous process that gives me far more than it takes, and when it doesn't, it's the kind of pressure that I react to by burying myself under a pile of blankets and self doubt.  It's a flaw in me, and I am not so arrogant as to act as if I am not a deeply flawed person.

I am not going to promise that I am going to be a better blogger, or tarot reader, or anything.  I am just going to show up, because that is how trust is earned, by doing more than promising.

I am going to share a little of what is going on in my world- The Man is handsome and wonderful, although working way too hard and not being in my presence nearly often enough.  My munchkins maybe need a new name to be called, as the baby is 13 and truly a young lady.  Exceptional young people, all of them, and I am filled with pride and love just to think their names.  The back injury that was supposed to be over with a few chiropractic sessions persists, and while it could be worse, and of course I am grateful it isn't, I don't think it does any good to pretend it is better than it is, either.  I remain hopeful and optimistic, but I am where I am and I am making the best of it.

One of the things about writing a blog, or engaging in social media, or existing on the Internet at all, even just having an Amazon account, is that I am giving people permission to view my life through my words and my pictures, and because there is not usually a conversation, people who are determined to misunderstand me have found plenty of reasons to do so.  The negative associations I have come to through my blog and social media are far, far outweighed by the wonderful people and connections I have made and treasure, and yet, once bitten has made me twice shy.  I have no desire to pay a lawyer outrageous hourly fees so that we can discuss the legality of the things I discuss here (spoiler: If it's true it's not slander or libel, and it is hella hard to prove those allegations) and I don't appreciate the feeling of being on display, but once the Publish button is pushed, I am putting myself on display, for better or worse.  I'm not the first person to experience this, and I won't be the last, and it should not take up this much of my time or energy.
Quote by Anne Lamott, author

I won't be silenced.  I will write.  I will write about my life.  I will write about my cards, and the places where those things intersect.  I will be respectful and I will be kind but I will not tell lies and I will not pretend things are different, and while I do not use names, I will expect that if people want to be portrayed well in my space, they had damned sure better act better, or at least in a way that allows my compassionate nature to find a reason why.

I'm interested in a conversation about how you protect yourself from haters and trolls, and even those people who may not quite reach that elevated status but whom you just don't care to engage with yet maintain social media, and if you run an online business, the necessary presence and authenticity without inviting those people in.  And I appreciate all of you!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to have found your blog! Thank you for sharing!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to be found! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. Just received a check for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can make taking paid surveys from home...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for participating in paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete