Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Daily Draw - The Devil

I don't want to go to work today.  That is the first thing I will say.  I have myriad good and valid reasons for it, which I will not bore you with, and any one of them alone should suffice, but they just don't, and here, partly, is why.

The Devil.  This has to be one of the most controversial cards in any deck, and this one, portrayed as Saturn, is not particularly welcoming.  I do not find the Devil to be inherently a bad card, and have often given readings in which it was clearly saying, "Live it up, indulge a little, not too much, but life is meant to be fun."  However, my Devil today is my anxiety, which lies to me, and does not have my best interests at heart.  If this Devil had its' way today, I would stay at home in bed and not face any of the things waiting for me out there in the wide world.  But the appearance of this card today reminds me that would be a selfish, and eventually hurtful, self indulgence.  And, as anxious as I feel, it's not like I would particularly enjoy myself at home anyway.  I would much rather call in well, and go enjoy a stolen spring-like day, than call in sick.

The shadow card today is the Seven of Pentacles, which I believe are called Coins in this deck.  I often see this card as the fruits of the harvest, so to speak, and reaping what one has sown, but this image is a little different.  The figure in the card could not get much lazier.  He is not even paying attention to his fishing, instead just letting the pole sit there.  I am not sure I would want to depend on him for supper!  One of the meanings in the included book for the deck mentions loss of profit through laziness.  So I guess I have to go to work, haha, and better for me to take this gentle nude from the universe than wait until it has to become a full on cosmic b*tchslap.






These images are from the Nigel Jackson Tarot by Nigel Jackson for Llewellyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment