Sunday, March 7, 2010

Daily Draw - Four of Swords

Today I have drawn the Four of Swords.  So often this card is depicted as a solitary being at rest, whether forced or chosen.  There is an angle to this card, one of submission.  She trusts him to carry her to where they need to be, she has relinquished control, and to good end, because for this task, he is better prepared than she is.  She could plod along on her own two feet, trudging through the mire, or she can allow him to carry her on hooves like the wind, offering speed and protection both.  We don't know what it has cost her to admit to needing his help, but she does not seem ill pleased, so this is a beneficial cooperation for both.

He adores her.  He relishes her reliance on his strength.  She is safe with him.

My shadow card is the Four of Cups.  She sits pining over a letter, letting her memories overwhelm and dishearten her.  She has not taken the very sage advice of Dr. Suess to heart -

"Don't cry because it's over.  Smile because it happened."

I have a tendency to isolate myself when life gets overwhelming, which is, of course, never the right answer.  I am the master at beating myself up for not being able to deal with things alone, and some of the things we say to ourselves we would never dare to say to another living person.  We should owe ourselves at least the courtesy we would extend a stranger.

These cards remind me to lean on someone who would love for me to do it, when I need to, and to take joy in the memories of what has passed, not wallow in the sorrow of no longer being in those moments, because there are more to come, and this moment is worth cherishing, too, of its' own merit.





These images are from the Heart Tarot by Maria Distefano for Lo Scarabeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment