Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Little Big Man = Future Bo Jackson?

Today I am debating the merits of the sports my Little Big Man plays.  The kid has a fire for basketball like I have never seen him have before, and that is going to be nurtured no matter what.  But he also loves football, and is much desired back on his team for fall.  We had originally agreed that two club sports at one time was too much for our family to handle, and he eagerly chose basketball, with no thoughts.  But last spring, when he was playing both, I was just out of a major surgery and barely getting to the bathroom alone, let alone all the running around two sports requires.  I may be able to manage it now, or at least I can try.
The Healing Tarot- Ace of Wands, Three of Pentacles, The Hierophant

I am using a simple three card Mind, Body, Spirit spread to see how this might affect my boy.  I want to see how the demands (and joys) of laying two competitive sports will play out for him.  These cards will not be the only factor in our decision, but they do shed light where I may not necessarily see it.

In the Mind position is the Ace of Wands.  My first thought was of burning the candle at both ends, so to speak, so I think his mind will be challenged, but it will also be kindled, because he loves these things, and doing what we love IS fulfilling our life's purpose.  The enthusiasm of the Ace of Wands is incredible, and he brings that to everything he works at.  The book says, "Everything is within you to succeed in your health and fitness goals: Go for what you want, think outside the box, and don't let anything stand in your way!"  He will set some goals and reach them, because he is driven.  There is also a little bit of ego and swagger indicated in this card, which I wrote about in my daily post earlier today, and in some cases that is a very good thing.  I have to be aware of the toll this could have on him and try to minimize it, but overall it is a positive card.

In the Body position is the Three of Pentacles, which I see as him working to perfect his skills and athleticism.  I see the two figures at the foot as two coaches pushing him to work harder, get better, go stronger.  This was the most important position to me as I am concerned with him putting himself through the rigors of two competitive sports again this season, as well as the fact that football is rough.  Kids get hurt.  But they also get hurt playing basketball and skateboarding and crossing the street.  As a kid, I broke my ankle tripping over a crack in the sidewalk.  You can't control everything, and in fact can only control very little.  We pad them up, make sure they have the right equipment, and train them well, then hope for the best.  Playing two sports will help him increase his skill in both, according to this card.

I am not so sure I like the look of that right leg, and the book, which I remind you is geared towards health readings, says watch out for broken bones, but I do not get a sense of dread from these cards.  The injury, of course, would affect both sports, and that was my argument against playing football at all- Why take the chance of injury if your love is basketball?  But this is not my life to live, just advise, and provide rides.

The Spirit card is The Hierophant, and I think this is so important.  We meet the Divine where our passions lay, because they were given to us to drive us to our purpose.  I don't know that Eli will be a professional athlete, or even that I want him to be, because that is a long, hard road to follow, but that there is a purpose in the deep desires of his heart I have no doubt.  He will draw closer to Loving Source through his pursuit of the game.  The Hierophant being a teacher points again to him learning more and more, which is the most important thing to me.

The Hierophant is also linked to Taurus, which rules pleasure, and there is deep pleasure for him in getting sweaty, working hard, winning, camaraderie with his teammates.

The Hierophant has authority, and a prime reason to keep kids involved with sports and other activities is to keep them involved with and active in their own lives, as well as giving them mentors to help them to stay on track.  While I adore, and he adores, his basketball coach, I think he may benefit from the coaching style of other people as well, although I can see in him a fear of disappointing the Coach he admires so deeply by pursuing his other activity.  That is in the Hierophant too, as representative of a jealous God here on earth.  Obviously I know, and Eli knows, that coach does not equal god, but in the minds of children, the parents, teachers, and people we surround our kids wear the face of God and Goddess for them until they are spiritually mature enough to seek it on their own.  That is something I need to remember more often, to keep my behavior on its' best.
Healing Tarot- The Tower

To conclude the reading, I asked how my Little Big Man would feel if I did not let him play football this fall.  I got The Tower, and my immediate sense was of stripping him of something that is vital to him.  Now this knife can cut both ways, and there is value in making him see that he is not just his athletic ability, but a whole person with a hundred, no, a thousand beautiful traits, but I am not sure it needs to come to a 13 year old young man quite like that.  I believe kids need to be built up as far as you possibly can, and be afforded opportunities to build themselves up, like in sports, as much as possible, and it is not my place to cut him down in any way.  Right now Eli gets his sense of self esteem from being good at sports, from setting goals and reaching them, and he will learn soon enough what it is to be stripped without me doing it for him.

To catch a possible glimpse into your future, or to discuss the pros and cons to various paths you may be considering, there is no finer option than a tarot reading, and I would love to be the one to offer you one.  Please contact me here if you are so moved!  Not only do I believe in tarot for myself, but for my most precious things in life, my kids as well.

These cards are from The Healing Tarot by Juno Lucina and Monica Knighton, published by Schiffer Books.



No comments:

Post a Comment