Friday, October 12, 2012

Deck Review - Dark Fairytale Tarot

Shortly before my first surgery, I was using the Dark Fairytale Tarot by Raffaele de Angelis, but never got around to writing the review.  If you'd like to read those posts, you can see them here.  Now that is October, which is my favorite time of year, and I am right in the middle of my Dark-deck-a-palooza on the 78 Whispers Facebook Page, it seems like the perfect time to give my review and share some new images from the deck.

The longer I blog and the more reviews I read, the less inclined I am to give my opinions on art, because that is so subjective, and since I tend to use a deck for a week at a time before I review it, there should be plenty of images for each reader to decide for themselves how they feel about it.  What I will say is that is unless a deck's imagery and voice speaks to me, I won't make it through a whole week of using it.  That means, while I do not like all decks, I tend to write positive reviews because I can rarely use decks I don't really like long enough to get a good enough feel to review the thing.  I'll give the physical details, tell you my opinion, leave some images, and you can decide if it is for you, deal?
Dark Fairytale Tarot Back

The Dark Fairytale Tarot has been rendered through computer graphics by Rafaelle de Angelis, published by Lo Scarabeo.  It comes with a Little White Book, a title card, and a promotional card featuring some of their other decks with dark or fairy themes.  The backs are fully reversible, with scroll work in a  cool metal looking medium, a cross in the middle with a red gem in the middle, and the dimensions of the card are slightly less than 2 3/4 inches by 4 3/4 inches.  The card stock is lightly varnished and the cards shuffle easily, although the black borders do show wear, with lightly chipping on the edges of my cards after light use.  I have found this to be something that happens with most decks with dark borders, and does not bother me or detract from my readings.  The suits are Wands, Cups, Swords, and Pentacles.  The Court Cards Pages, Knights, Queens, and Kings.  There are 22 Major Arcana, with Justice labelled VIII and Strength at XI.  There are no words on the cards, though, so you are free to call them anything you like.

There are many images of vampires, werewolves, dark fey beings, and what I commonly refer to as Goth gone mainstream.  This deck won't be for everyone, as there are scenes with light violence, some blood, and while there is no outright nudity, some of the denizens are scantily clad.  None of these things detract from the deck for me, and in many cases they actually add to the reading.  One thing I do not care for in the deck is the repeated use of what it appears to be one model, who strongly resembles King Theoden from The Lord of the Rings movies.  There are four cards that seem to be the same figure to me.  Three of them are Kings, and the other the Emperor, so they do relate, but that would be a theme to carry over throughout the deck.  This way it just seems disjointed.

Dark Fairytale Tarot- Emperor, Kings of Wands, Swords, Pentacles
Another thing that would have improved the deck, for me, would have been the inclusion of a detailed book describing the inspiration for each card, the fairy tale they came from, or even a original story from the creator's imagination.  I have several fairy tale decks, all of which have large books with them because the stories are so vast, so rich, and while I enjoy making my own stories up when using the deck I would also have enjoyed the creator's perspective.
Dark Fairytale Tarot- Hierophant & Devil

While this is not a quibble for me, it may be for some people, so I feel it should be noted that the Hierophant looks quite a bit like Saruman, again from The Lord of the Rings movies. The Devil also strongly resembles The Lord of Darkness from the 1985 movie Legend, in which Tom Cruise made his debut.  These movies happen to be favorites of mine, so I am not bothered by these similarities, but I just want potential buyer to be aware of them, because as readers, one card really can ruin a deck for us.

That being said, for myself, I have found this to be an evocative storytelling deck that largely follows Waite Smith meanings, with some interesting twists.  One of the reasons I am drawn to Lo Scarabeo decks in general is that they often stretch the boundaries of tarot.  I like to see the images that don't quite "fit" and the light bulb moment I get when I realize how a particular quirky image relates to tarot as I understand it is always a thrill.  There are many symbols and colors for intuitive readers to grab onto to enhance their readings, and while "dark" is even in the name of the deck, the readings I have done with it have been well rounded, with shadow and light both well represented.

I have found the deck to answer both mundane and spiritual questions with equal aplomb, and it has been great for revealing shadows the light should be shined on.   I have also found this deck superb for readings about relationships of all types, and its' energy has lent itself particularly well to questions dealing with sexuality.

This deck is available wherever you prefer to purchase your decks, and remember, often independent retailers can order anything your heart desires!

Dark Fairytale Tarot
Dark Fairytale Tarot

Dark Fairytale Tarot
I hope you enjoyed this review, and that it was helpful, and if so, I'd love if you shared it!  Happy weekend!






These images are from Dark Fairytale Tarot by Rafaelle de Angelis, published by Lo Scarabeo.

21 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing it for a while, but hesitating to make the investment. Save for a few things you mentioned in the review, such as the same model, I feel this deck would be a worthy investment.

    Hmmm... Maybe you've swayed me! Next paycheck that comes around, we will see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this deck and its the best i have had. I love it.

    ReplyDelete


  3. This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited here online on the 12th of APR 2019 and i saw a marvelous testimony of laura Aldana from United States on the forum about the good works DR BAKABA I never believed it, because i have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR.BAKABA did a marvelous work for me that restored my mairage of 4 years by getting back my husband back i just as i read on the internet. I'm Alicia Pege I was truly shocked when my husband knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept him back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR.BAKABA For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of my mariage. Contact him now for any kind of help via Email ( bakabaspelltemple@gmail.com ) or you add him on whatsApp number ( +2347063836098 ) or call him, get all your problems solve No problem is too big for him to solve..Contact him now ALICIA PEGE from united state THANKS TO Dr BAKABA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to let the world know about Dr, tunde the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Dr, tunde used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and ever since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self that i will let the World know about Dr, tunde because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Dr, tunde today  i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Dr, tunde email is: babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com OR WhatsApp or call his moblie phone +2348143581382 Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, INFERTILITY, DIABETES AND MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr Sunny has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email (solutioncentre911@gmail.com) Also specialize i1) love Spell
    2) Spells divorce
    3) Spells of marriage
    4.) pregnancy problems
    contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution Through Email: (solutioncentre911@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME

    ReplyDelete
  7. am so happy to share this great testimony and say a big Thank to Dr okeke for what he have done for me! with his spell am laura from USA my family is back My husband has come back home with the help of okeke and now my husband has stopped to fill the divorce papers after i contacted Dr okeke to help me stop the divorce with my husband and now things are going much better now. As Dr okeke said, all the process concerning the divorce have been cancelled and the evil woman that cause the problem in my marriage has be sent away by my husband and we are now happy together. i said it better for me to share this good news and good work of Dr okeke with everyone here I will advice if you are passing any problem in your marriage or relationship reach Dr okeke his the solution to your problem and predicament Thank you okeke for your help reach him on email at (writelovespell@gmail.com) or chat him on WhatsApp on (+2348140443360) he can also help you with the following problem
    1. HIV/AIDS CURE
    2. HERPES CURE
    3. CANCER CURE
    4 PREGNANCY SPELL
    Dr okeke is the best and truthfull spell caster i ever see

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the help Dr  Sunny has rendered to me for  getting my Husband back with his spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him on {+2349056393169} His Also specialize in 1) love Spell2) Pregnancy  Spell
    3) Divorce Spell
    4)  Marriage Spell
    5) Healing Spell
    6) Spell for Break
    7) Money Spell
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office
    9) you want to satisfy your lover
    contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution Through Email  { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

    ReplyDelete
  9. A big thanks to Dr Oselumen i never believe that there still exist a real death spell caster after all this years of disappointment from the enormous spammers on the Internet who go about scamming people, until i was opportune to meet Dr Oselumen a real spell caster, through a close friend called Jennifer who Dr oselumen had helped before, when i contacted him with his email via droselumen@gmail.com i explain how my ex have been giving me problem in my marriage, she never allowed me a moment of peace, and i need to end it by killing her, and i don't want to make use of assassin because it will be risky so i needed to do it in a spiritual way that's why i decided to contact him, he assured me not to worry as i have contacted the right person at the right time, i co-operated with him and in less than a week my ex was dead, she slept and never woke up all thanks to Dr Oselumen indeed he's really a humble man. you can contact dr oselumen for any death spell, such as to kill your superior in the office and take his or her place, death spell to kill your father and inherit his wealth ,death spell to kill anyone who have scammed you in the past ,spell for increase in salaries, spell for promotion at the office, spell to get your ex lover back, if things is not working well in your life then you need to contact him nowvia Email droselumen@gmail.com call or add him on whatsapp +2348054265852

    ReplyDelete