Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Majors- Theme for the Week: The Devil

When I look at this rendition of the Devil, it seems to have an optical illusion effect, much like those pictures where you are supposed to tell if it is an old lady with a hooked nose and pointy chin or a young lady sporting an elegant coif.  It is all about perspective.  So is the Devil.  When I first picked up the card I believed the young lady had her back arched and her face turned skyward as she exalted in the lightning storm, one hand raised in triumph, the other flung behind her head as she cries out.  Now it looks more like she is crouched between the rocks, shame keeping her from facing her own reflection and preferring that her hair hide her face from knowing, as if it were that easy to turn away from the things we have done.

There is no horned figure in this image, no chains and no coercion.  For good, as in my first impression, or for bad, the Devil is in the choices we each make every day.  The artist seems to be stressing the idea of personal responsibility and accountability, and not looking to a Devil that causes us to do things, but to look inside our own souls to figure out why we do the things we do.  I don't know about you, but sometimes I have the distinct impression that looking at my true self can be a scarier prospect than looking at any horrific Devil figure.

There is no judgment in this Devil card, because sometimes Devil energy is needed.  When you want to spice things up in the ol' bedroom, for example, or a healthy dose of hedonism is the only cure for what ails you.  In that case, you should throw yourself into whatever it is you are doing with all abandon, no regrets, but with eyes wide open.

But when we have willfully made mistakes, hurt others, said cruel things, drank too much, had one too many cupcakes, when we have done something we know to be wrong, then it is just as important to have our eyes wide open as we take a good look at ourselves and full accountability for our lives.  The Devil is not a card we get when we are being done wrong, but a card that denotes being the wrong doer.

I leave you with the words of Maya Angelou:

"It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'Well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self."




This card is from Twilight Realm: A Tarot of Faery by Beth Wilder for Schiffer Books.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the look of this Devil card. It does not have the naughty horned guy, but it managed to be incredibly oppressive. Literally "between the devil and the deep blue sea", isn't it? ;-)

    I did not know this deck! Thank you for always using so many different decks in your post, I really enjoy seeing you use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this Devil, too! It's not the traditional imagery, but the point is even more clear, I think.

    I am happy to put all these decks to good use :) Thank YOU for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this card. May I please ask for this deck's name? I would love to see all the other cards. Thank You!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, huh? It is from Twilight Realm: A Tarot of Faery by Beth Wilder for Schiffer Books.

      Here is my review of the deck- http://78whispers.blogspot.com/2012/02/deck-review-twilight-realm-tarot-of.html

      You can find all the posts that have images from the deck by clicking on the tag "Twilight Realm". Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete