Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturday Showcase- The 7th World Tarot Deck

I am achingly aware that I have many, many tarot decks, more than I am ever going to be able to use in my lifetime, so many of them are just here for my own personal delight.  I very much enjoy the exercise of using each deck for a week, but if I stopped obtaining decks now (fat chance) it would take me about twelve years to use each one for a week on this blog, but they deserve to be seen!

The 7th World Tarot Deck, created by Australian artist Terry Whidborne is my feature for the day, and it is beautiful!  I am reminded of Alice in Wonderland, but under his own direction.  The Seventh World website is full of all manners of curious, quirky, and engaging art.  The deck itself is printed on sublime card stock, and so much fun to look at.  My only quibble, which is a matter of personal preference only, is the unillustrated pip cards, in the Marseilles tradition.

Nisaba Merrieweather has written a review about the deck here, and J. Dev has also written a review here.  One day I hope to add to their body of work, but go on over and see what they think after you take in these beautiful images!







These images were created by Terry Whidborne at  The Seventh World.  Visit his web home here.

2 comments:

  1. I am aware that I probably have much more oracle decks than I need but... it gives me pleasure to look through the cards and admire them, even if I'm not going to use them. Or read the companion books if they are interesting. I call myself a "collector with love" - I do collect decks but I usually love the ones I have so they are not there just to make my collection more complete, even if they don't get much used. :P

    I did not know this 7th World Tarot Deck... WOW! I love, LOVE the sepia-ish tones, at least in the scans it makes it look a bit antique, as if it was a deck found at the bottom of a mysterious chest.. like it has some sort of legend attached to it! I like it!

    Thank you so much for sharing! Livin' and learnin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I only feel moderately guilty about the deck collecting. Our mutual friend, cardlady22, told me once when I was guilting myself over it, "There's nothing wrong with collecting beautiful things." And she's right! I'm like you, I have to love it, or it has to have sentimental value, to stay in my collection, but it turns out I have a lot of love to give.

    The scans are pretty true to the actual colors. I like your story about the mysterious chest!

    ReplyDelete